Whether your clients are looking for development opportunities, Class A office space near transit, or coworking space in the heart of Old Town, Alexandria accommodates any request. Below, please find several resources that may be useful as you are assisting clients in finding the perfect space.
Learn more about real estate in Alexandria.
Alexandria has commercial real estate assets for all types of businesses. Whether your clients are looking for large build-to-suit opportunities, office space near the metro, or scalable space that allows your firm to start small and grow in an organic, amenity rich environment, Alexandria accommodates any request.
SF of office space
SF under construction
Average SF, speculative move-in ready office space
Average asking rental rate/SF
Real Estate Snapshot
The variety of real estate options in Alexandria offer space for every employer, from the entrepreneur needing adaptive space to grow to a regionally-known creative and technology firms interested in flexible collaborative spaces.
Featured Trend: Coworking and Speculative “Move-in ready” Space
Flexible Space and coworking have fundamentally disrupted commercial real estate, growing at an average annual rate of 22% in the last decade. We predict pre-built spaces, agile design, technology integration, flexible lease terms and hospitality services will become the norm—making space fast, flexible and fun.”JLL
Recent trends in coworking culture are about much more than workspace. From weekly lunches to events and yoga classes to meditation sessions, community is becoming a part of the coworking concept. Connection with the local community is important to some businesses when choosing a coworking space: 36% of all coworking employees work in a local or single-location coworking business.
Flex space provides companies with access to flexible but dependable office space on a lease term of anywhere from one month to three years. These spaces are usually smaller suites grouped around shared facilities, such as conference rooms and kitchens, but allows small to mid-size businesses to create their own office culture.
Amenities like free snacks/drinks, exercise classes at lunch and areas to hang out are often found in coworking spaces but are now expected in every workspace. Employees are looking for perks that go above and beyond. Landlords have also been incorporating amenities in their buildings that are available to ALL tenants, not just coworking members. Event spaces/conference centers, tenant lounges and services similar to those offered in higher-end hotels are becoming commonplace.
Looking for opportunities to develop in Alexandria? It is a simple call to someone in our office along with our development map as a reference. Our team is experienced to help you find sites to develop commercial office, retail, hotel and residential.
- Virginia Tech “solar” building– building design that reflects overall sustainability and usability. Geometric massing of the building is situated to allow for maximum solar exposure along a series of outdoor terraces.
- Building for the future– convertible above ground parking structures with higher than average ceiling heights, allows for future conversion to usable spaces, i.e., possibly affordable housing as parking goes away over time.
- Planning for the future– high ceiling, first floor spaces permitted to be “live/work” spaces as temporary solutions in emerging neighborhoods. As the market evolves, these spaces easily convert to retail/restaurants upon the arrival of market demand.
- Obsolete office conversions to residential – luxury, workforce and affordable units.
- Green space – rooftops/above ground parking decks becoming green spaces that are more usable (i.e., walking terraces, playgrounds, organic gardens, beehives, etc.)
If you are looking for more information on the City of Alexandria development process, the below brochure from the Planning and Zoning Division is a good place to start.
Want more information?
If you’d like more information about the development process or ongoing projects in Alexandria, Virginia, please contact a member of our staff!