West End(Beauregard - Landmark - Van Dorn)
Alexandria’s West End encompasses the communities of Beauregard, Landmark, and Van Dorn. The West End is Alexandria’s largest neighborhood and is rapidly changing. It shares a border with Fairfax and Arlington counties and allows for easy access to Washington, DC via I-395. The West End is undergoing various revitalization efforts, with the future redevelopment of Landmark Mall and other retail centers, as well as the construction of the BRAC 133 office complex at Mark Center. Portions of the West End are served by the Van Dorn Metrorail Station on the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Autority’s systems Blue line. The West End is also home to historical landmarks, including Fort Ward, built in 1861 to protect Washington during the Civil War.
Major Development Projects
- Greenhill Properties has an approved plan for a new Coordinated Development District (CDD) consisting of 7 parcels totaling 3.1 million square feet. The 5 – 10-year multi-phased plan will include a new street network, a new public square, and a multi-modal bridge to connect to Eisenhower Ave.
- The Vulcan site is a 16-acre industrial site under contract to Lennar/Potomac Land Company. Once developed the proposed use of the site will consist of a mixture of townhomes and five multifamily buildings.
- Beauregard is primarily a residential neighborhood; however, it also has one of four Opportunity Zones in Alexandria. Within Opportunity Zones, businesses and real estate owners are incentivized to stimulate economic development through federal tax benefits upon investing eligible capital into the community.
- Amenities & Features
- Beauregard offers a bounty of retail & restaurants, both national and locally owned
- Beauregard has a variety of green spaces and parks including both Winkler Botanical Preserve and Dora Kelley Nature Park
- Beauregard offers easy access to public transportation with bus line accessibility for travel within the rest of Alexandria.
- The active re-design of the Beuregard Small Area Plan implemented in 2012 brings a variety of changes, additions and, updates that include:
- The creation of dedicated affordable housing;
- Roadway improvements and new rapid transit access will reduce traffic congestion and,
- Additional high-rise apartments, offices, shopping centers, hotels and, and residential uses that are strategically located around rapid transit stations and connected to each other.
Landmark – Van Dorn Corridor
The City’s vision for the Landmark – Van Dorn Corridor is to create an exceptional mixed-use community. This community has seen the adaptive reuse of obsolete office buildings into elementary schools and residential units. Much of the redevelopment of the area will happen on the 51-acre site that is currently Landmark Mall. The vision for the corridor also includes:
- Deliberate emphasis on planning for walkability, green space and a sense of community;
- Plan for the redevelopment of the area to make it an attractive gateway to the city;
- Large multi-family communities.
Organizations For Businesses & Networking
- One of the first locations of e-Lofts, a live/work building with 200 units is in the West End of Alexandria. Residents can operate their businesses from their living units.
- Please check out our business highlight Growing in ALX: Novi LLC.
- Growing in ALX: Aslin Beer.