ALx b2b all weather grant
Through the course of this pandemic, City staff and AEDP, in coordination with the Alexandria Health Department and the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority, have been working with restaurants, retail and other storefront-based businesses to help them access and activate outdoor space to serve customers while complying with Forward Virginia guidelines. As the pandemic continues, and residents and customers are advised to continue to use social distance, separation and spend as little time as possible in indoor, confined spaces, businesses must maintain and expand outdoor operations to remain viable.
As part of ongoing discussions, it has become evident that there is additional financial need in the business community required to support the acquisition and deployment of this ‘all-weather’ or winterization equipment and materials, and to help safely activate outdoor spaces during the colder weather months. On Tuesday, October 27th, Alexandria City Council voted to approve $500,000 of federal CARES Act funding for restaurant, retail and fitness businesses who wish to “winterize” outdoor business areas.
The ALX B2B – All Weather program grant was available on a rolling (first-come, first-serve) basis. If a business applied for either round of the Alexandria Back to Business grant program, successfully or unsuccessfully, that business is still eligible for the All Weather grant as long as the All Weather grant funds are spent on the eligible uses listed below.
Each business is eligible for a $5,000 grant to be used to cover eligible expenses, as long as those items are allowable per the City of Alexandria Guidelines. Eligible expenses may include the purchase or rental of:
- Tents or other structures that provide cover, such as awnings
- Propane or electric heaters
- Outdoor furniture
- Other items for use in an outdoor setting
Full eligibility criteria includes:
- Licensed in the City of Alexandria
- Hold one of the following City-issued permits or approvals:
- Temporary expansion of outdoor dining permit; or
- Temporary expansion of a retail business permit; or
- Temporary outdoor expansion of fitness uses permit; or
- King Street Outdoor Dining Program permit; or
- SUP that allows outdoor dining or vending; or
- *Active application for one of the above permits/SUP
- Current on all local business taxes or on a payment plan with the City
- Not currently in bankruptcy proceedings
- Intend to remain operating in Alexandria through December 31, 2020
- Locally owned and operated
*If a business is in the process of applying for a permit or SUP, you may submit an application for an All Weather grant. However, the All Weather grant application will not be processed until the business successfully provides proof of the approved permit or SUP.
All requests for expanded outdoor use must be reviewed by the Department of Planning & Zoning prior to setting up the alternative areas for outdoor dining, retail display and sales and fitness business use. There is no fee for these requests. The programs are in effect through March 2021 and may be extended or shortened upon a decision by the City Manager. For restaurants, retail businesses and fitness uses within the King Street area, contact Alexa Powell at firstname.lastname@example.org or for these uses in all other areas of the City, contact Natalie Brown at email@example.com. For more information, please visit the Land Use Services page.
Applications closed on Friday, November 20th at 3:00 PM.
All applications must be completed online and in English. Because applications cannot be saved and continued later, applicants are encouraged to gather the following information before beginning the application:
- Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or Social Security Number (SSN) associated with the business;
- City of Alexandria Business Professional and Occupational License (BPOL) Account Number;
- Copy of temporary expansion of outdoor dining, retail business, or fitness uses permit;
- Copy of King Street Outdoor Dining Program permit;
- SUP that allows outdoor dining or vending;
- Proof of active application for any of the above; and
- For businesses with a commercial lease, the expiration date of the current lease.
All applicants will be notified when their application is submitted and when final grant decisions are made.