Alexandria Back to Business Grants
On Tuesday September 8th, the Alexandria City Council approved an additional $2.4 million to fund a second round of the Alexandria Back to Business (ALX B2B) grant program. These funds will be available to qualifying small businesses and certain nonprofits to offset costs and/or investments related to reopening and rescaling their business. Earlier this year, Round One of the ALX B2B grants disbursed $3.495 million to 303 businesses that were negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The application period for Round Two opened on Wednesday, September 30th at 8:00AM, and closed at 5:00PM on Wednesday, October 7th.
Applications are now closed.
The program criteria for Round Two has been expanded so additional types of businesses and nonprofit childcare providers will be eligible to apply for a grant. Grants will be awarded in amounts ranging from $5,000 to $20,000 depending on the number of employees working for the business.
For Round Two, applicants must meet all of the below criteria to be eligible for an ALX B2B grant:
- 25% negative revenue impact attributable to the COVID-19 health emergency
- Licensed business in the City of Alexandria
- Physical location within the City of Alexandria
- In operation as of March 14, 2020
- EITHER: For-profit small business; OR: Any entity (for-profit or nonprofit) that provides full-day or part-day childcare services to children 0-13 years of age and is licensed or regulated by a local ordinance or state licensing body
- Business is current on all local business taxes or is on a payment plan with the City
- Not currently involved in business bankruptcy proceedings
- Intend to remain operating in Alexandria through December 31, 2020
- Between 0 – 100 employees
- Locally owned and operated
Ineligible business types include: home-based businesses (except for childcare providers), any business that was awarded a B2B grant in Round One, financial institutions, grocery stores & pharmacies, and gas stations.
ALX B2B Grants must be used to offset costs and/or investments related to reopening or rescaling a business. For example, the purchase of equipment and supplies that promote health and safety, technology to support e-commerce, and rent. Grants will be provided in four amounts based on the business’s number of employees:
- $5,000 – Independent Contractors (zero employees)
- $10,000 – 1-24 employees
- $15,000 – 25-49 employees
- $20,000 – 50-100 employees
Additional details about the program and application process will be posted in the coming days. A Sample Application in multiple languages and Frequently Asked Questions will be available to allow businesses time to review the questions and compile required documents and information in advance of the open application period.
This webpage will be updated continuously with new information for potential applications leading up to the application period. Information will also be shared via email with AEDP’s COVID-19 News Alerts. To sign up for the news alerts please click here.
Round One Information
To learn more about the process and impact of Round One grants please click on the link below.
Business Reopening Info
As Northern Virginia, including the City of Alexandria, moves out of Phase Zero and into subsequent Phases of the Forward Virginia plan, AEDP will provide updated information on State and Local procedures and processes.