AEDP is hiring a Communications Manager and Content Creator.
ALEXANDRIA ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP MISSION: The Alexandria Economic Development Partnership (AEDP) is a 501(c)6 public-private partnership that promotes the City of Alexandria as a premier location for businesses of all sizes, entrepreneurs, nonprofits, and cutting-edge institutions of science and learning. AEDP promotes Alexandria by showcasing the city’s workforce, location, livability, and transportation capabilities for the purpose of attracting new jobs and investment. AEDP is led by an independent board of directors and collaborates closely with the City’s management and elected officials.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Communications Manager will join a small but ambitious team dedicated to telling the world that Alexandria is the best place to do business and making sure our community knows about the resources we offer and the key role we play in development. You’ll be responsible for the execution of AEDP’s content strategy alongside the Vice President of Strategic Communications. You’ll spend much of your time writing audience-focused print and digital marketing and communications collateral as well as talking and listening to the entrepreneurs in Alexandria to better understand how to serve them. A successful Communications Manager is an exceptional communicator who believes in the power of finding the real story and making information accessible. You’ll need to be organized and able to work independently, but you’ll have the chance to bring your ideas to life and measure their impact.
DIRECTION: General and specific direction to this position is provided by the Vice President of Strategic Communications.
EXAMPLES OF MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES:
- Write engaging copy aligned with audience characteristics, strategic goals, and defined messaging for internal and external digital platforms
- Serves as web editor, working closely with the department to develop an update schedule for existing pages and to create new pages and edit content
- Track, analyze and report on content performance and goals related to web visits, engagement, click-throughs, opt-ins and shares
- Serve as a project manager for communications and marketing requests, ensuring schedules are met and the various aspects of proposals, presentations, and other marketing activities are accurate and concise, aligned with our brand, and delivered in a timely manner
- Maintain the AEDP editorial calendar
- Manage AEDP social media accounts on a regular basis by posting and engaging target audiences online
- Serve as the back-up media relations contact and help with interview preparation and execution and identifying and facilitating speaking engagements
- Lead content collection and copywriting for major organization publications to include Market Reports and Annual Report
- Assist with the planning and execution of special events sponsored by AEDP and in partnership with outside organizations and entities
- Act as producer for video and photo shoots
- Research and review photographers/videographers/creative agencies as needed
- Develop and maintains PR tools for the media (i.e., digital press kits, image galleries, briefing sheets)
- Explore the city and develops relationships with Alexandria businesses, uncovering trends and story ideas
- Create monthly department report and other media reports as needed for various projects
- Assist with other duties as assigned
What You Will Bring:
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- A love for learning new communications techniques and meeting your audience where they are
- Ability to synthesize information to create effective messaging
- Ability to plan, execute, and evaluate paid digital advertising campaigns (e.g., Google Ad words, LinkedIn)
- Knowledge of creating and distributing marketing messages with Constant Contact or a similar platform
- Ability to manage contracted agencies
- Ability to manage multiple social media accounts
- Knowledge of WordPress, Adobe Creative suite, and Microsoft Office
- Superior organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects within timelines
- Ability to work cross-functionally
- Ability to provide feedback and coaching on content development
Experience: Five to seven years of experience working on content development, editorial, marketing strategy and execution, or public relations. A background in economic development, real estate, construction, business improvement districts or a similar field is preferred but not required.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, or a related field.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications, with a range between $80,000-$90,000.
Benefits: AEDP offers a competitive benefits package including health, vision, and dental, a 401K retirement plan with an employer match, life insurance, among other benefits.
Position Type: Full-time.
Work Location & Schedule: AEDP’s current operating status requires a minimum of three days in-office work with flexibility of remote work two days per week.
COVID-19 Vaccination Status: All employees and contractors working for AEDP are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, per the CDC guidelines. AEDP reserves the right to request proof of vaccination for all employees and contractors.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume, an engaging cover letter highlighting your unique skillsets, experience and interest in the position, as well as your portfolio and two of your favorite writing samples to email@example.com. Applications are now closed.
AEDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected class, in accordance with applicable law.
FLSA Status: Exempt