AEDP is hiring a Business Development Director
ALEXANDRIA ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP (AEDP) is a public-private partnership that serves to promote the City of Alexandria as a premier location for businesses and entrepreneurs. We capitalize on Alexandria’s many assets including prime development locations, proximity to Washington DC, small businesses, and history to further economic development. Our success results in increased city tax revenues, employment opportunities, and the overall enhancement of quality of life in Alexandria.
The Business Development Director is responsible for bringing new businesses, jobs, and investment to Alexandria. Additionally, the Director oversees business retention by helping existing businesses expand and increase profitability. The Director serves as a member of AEDP’s Executive Team and is primarily responsible for driving AEDP’s business development strategy by formulating and implementing plans to achieve retention, expansion, and attraction goals. The Director manages a team of at least two business development managers who identify, evaluate, and engage prospects. The Director will engage with major prospects directly, especially when coordination with other AEDP departments or external strategic partners is required. They use their business development experience, excellent communication skills, knowledge of economic development policies and trends, and understanding of the Alexandria market to lead AEDP’s responses to business attraction and retention targets, including developing pitches and preparing proposals that position Alexandria as the best location to do business.
Key characteristics required for the role include Strategic Thinking, Leading Teams, Results Orientation, Business Acumen, Stakeholder Engagement, Influencing Skills, Building Strong Relationships
The Director encourages a team culture of ownership, creativity, and collaboration while closely monitoring the goals and objectives of the team. When needed, the Director provides feedback and coaching at the team and individual levels to ensure that annual performance goals are accomplished.
This position requires a proven business development professional who is highly effective at building relationships and using various forms of communication and persuasion to achieve desired outcomes. They are experienced at leading high-performing teams and inspire action by facilitating an environment that values teamwork and accountability. They are also capable of designing and implementing complex business strategies with measurable goals and objectives.
Relocation will be required if are not local to the DMV area. This role operates in a hybrid work environment with regular in-person time.
General and specific direction for this position is provided by the Senior Vice President.
EXAMPLES OF MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, implement, and monitor AEDP’s business retention, expansion, and attraction strategy
- Lead a team of at least two Business Development Managers; provide guidance, resources, and coaching to enable the team’s success
- Oversee business attraction lead generation and business retention activity by directing the analysis of target industries
- Foster relationships with company representatives, investors, and industry thought leaders who can directly and indirectly support attraction and retention efforts
- Lead AEDP’s responses to business attraction targets, including the creation of comprehensive and tailored pitch materials and proposal responses that include information on the services, incentives, and strategic partnerships AEDP and Virginia can provide businesses, the Alexandria’s real estate market, and other local/regional factors that make Alexandria an ideal business location
- Design and manage prospect tours including creating meeting agendas and briefing materials, and scheduling site visits; oversee follow-up actions from tours
- Lead business retention meetings with existing businesses to understand how AEDP can support their continued growth and expansion in Alexandria while also encouraging their engagement in the Alexandria business community
- Manage strategic partnerships with city leadership, local business executives, the Virginia Economic Development Partnership, universities, and other stakeholders to develop innovative proposals to attraction leads or solutions that address/resolve challenges facing existing businesses
- Identify and manage AEDP’s Marketing Missions annual budget and develop recommendations for AEDP’s participation at industry trade shows, conferences, and domestic and international business development trips
- Create annual goals and objectives for the Business Development Team, and track and monitor progress
- Represent AEDP on the Northern Virginia Economic Development Alliance (NOVA EDA) Business Development Committee and actively contribute to the committee’s activities
- Develop reports on business development leads/projects and make presentations to colleagues and AEDP’s senior leaders
- Manage business development resources such as database subscriptions and other resources
- Contribute to AEDP’s organizational development, strategy, and culture as a member of the Executive Team
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior listening skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of consultative sales techniques
- Knowledge of economic development programs and principles
- Superior research skills
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships
- Superior leadership skills
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Ability to work under time pressure
- Ability to work tactfully and equitably with people in a team environment
- Ability to synthesize data and information into written reports and presentations
- Experience using Salesforce, CoStar, and other databases
7-10 years of professional experience. 5 years of business development/sales experience required with experiencing leading a team
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree
Experience using Microsoft Office Suite and Salesforce; Familiarity with common lead generation and economic development research tools
This position is required to travel domestically and internationally for approximately 5%-10% of the year
COVID-19 Vaccination Status
All employees of AEDP are required to provide proof of vaccination from COVID-19
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted
The salary range for this role is $140,000 – $160,000, plus a comprehensive benefits package
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and an engaging cover letter highlighting your unique skillsets, experience, and interest in the position to email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
AEDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected class, in accordance with applicable law.