Job announcement: AEDP is hiring Business Development Managers
Two vacancies to be filled. Applications accepted through June 17, 2022.
Who We’re Looking For
We are seeking an experienced and effective business development professional who is interested in helping AEDP launch a new, innovative approach to local economic development. This job is perfect for the experienced economic development professional who is tired of running the same old playbook to generate leads, or the successful private-sector business development guru who wants something more out of their career then just helping to grow a company’s bottom line. At AEDP, we are building something different. Here you will have the opportunity to develop authentic relationships with thought leaders, investors, and power brokers in emerging industries and work together to identify and engage companies that will generate economic prosperity for Alexandrians and enhance our City’s reputation as a great place to live, work, and innovate.
We want to engage with candidates who have the right skills, mindset, and passion. Here are a few elements we think make a great Business Development Manager at AEDP:
- An engaging personality, superb communication skills, and effective follow through when it comes to building relationships with prospects and existing businesses
- A natural curiosity, strong analytical skills, and a command of databases like Salesforce, Pitchbook, and Crunchbase to conduct in-depth research on industries and companies
- Sharp sales techniques and an inquisitiveness that helps you to look at issues from multiple angles to quickly understand a client’s needs so you can pitch solutions
- A self-starter who is organized, dependable, and gritty by nature; you are not afraid of challenging performance goals, never settle, and recover quickly (and learn) from failure
- A creative thinker who can work independently and who believes in testing new approaches and ideas
Who we are
The Alexandria Economic Development Partnership (AEDP) is a nonprofit partner of the City of Alexandria, VA that is devoted to promoting our city as a premier location for businesses, entrepreneurs, nonprofits, and institutions of science and learning. Our business development, real estate, small business, and City government relationship teams provide custom consultations to existing and new businesses with the goal of helping them get started, grow, or relocate to Alexandria.
What You Will Be Doing
The Business Development Manager contributes directly to AEDP’s mission of growing the number of businesses and high-quality jobs in Alexandria. This position is responsible for developing business retention and attraction leads within AEDP’s target industries through research, aggressive outreach and engagement, and relationship building. Business Development Managers generate leads by becoming experts in target industries/markets, leveraging existing relationships, and building strong rapport with prospects. Success in this position is the conversion of leads to wins that bring new businesses, jobs, and investment to Alexandria and help existing businesses increase profitability.
Examples of the duties and responsibilities you will be performing in this role include:
- Contribute to and implement AEDP’s business retention, expansion, and attraction strategy
- Generate business attraction and retention leads by developing a deep knowledge of AEDP’s target industries through aggressive research and by building relationships with company representatives, investors, and industry thought leaders
- Utilizes a variety of databases (e.g., Crunchbase, D&B Hoovers, Costar, etc.) to identify and learn about company targets
- Have an interest and comprehensive understanding of the services and strategic partnerships AEDP and Virginia can provide businesses, Alexandria’s real estate market, and other local/regional factors that make Alexandria an ideal business location
- Connect and build rapport with business attraction targets to understand their growth trajectory and potential alignment with Alexandria’s strengths as a business location
- Meet with existing businesses to understand how AEDP can support their continued growth and expansion in Alexandria while also encouraging their engagement in the Alexandria business community
- Actively engage attraction and retention leads by engaging in follow up conversations, responding to inquiries and pitching Alexandria as an ideal business location
- Leverage relationships with city staff, local business associations, universities, and other partners to develop innovative proposals to attraction leads or solutions that address/resolve challenges facing existing businesses
- Proactively manage and track business development projects using Salesforce and other tools
- Manage AEDP’s presence at industry trade shows, conferences, and domestic and international business development trips to include identifying company targets, developing pitch materials, and selling Alexandria
- Collaborate with colleagues from the Virginia Economic Development Partnership on attraction and retention projects to include sharing information and participating in joint meetings/missions
- Develop and maintain relationships with strategic partners who can provide connections and resources to business attraction and retention targets
- Develop reports on business development leads/projects and make presentations to colleagues and AEDP’s senior leaders
What You Will Bring
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior listening skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of consultative sales techniques
- Knowledge of economic development programs and principles
- Superior research skills
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships
- Superior organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Ability to work under time pressure
- Ability to work tactfully and equitably with people in a team environment
- Ability to synthesize data and information into written reports and presentations
- Experience using databases (e.g., Salesforce, Costar, Crunchbase, Pitchbook, etc.)
Experience: at least three years of work-related experience in a business development, sales, or a fundraising role. Experience working for an economic development organization is preferred, not required.
Education: graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree
Technical Requirements: experience using Microsoft Office Suite and Salesforce
Travel Requirement: this position is required to travel domestically and internationally for approximately 5%-10% of the year
Salary: $75,000 to $130,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications
Benefits: AEDP offers a competitive benefits package including health, vision, and dental, a 401K retirement plan with an employer match, life insurance, among other benefits.
Position Type: Full-time, Exempt.
Work Location & Schedule: this position requires the incumbent to regularly meet in-person with business owners, AEDP staff, and other stakeholders. AEDP does permit telework and is open to discussing flexible work hours and locations.
COVID-19 Vaccination Status: all employees of AEDP are required to provide proof of vaccination from COVID-19.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and an engaging cover letter highlighting your unique skillsets, experience and interest in the position to email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted through June 17, 2022.
AEDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected class, in accordance with applicable law.