AEDP is hiring a director of Marketing & communications
Who We’re Looking For
We are seeking a creative thinker who can grasp issues quickly to shape the big picture and brand strategy, then produce inspiring, memorable, and motivational content — with a clear call to action. Using your talents as a storyteller you will expand awareness and user engagement across our social media channels, websites, and through tailored events. In AEDP’s dynamic and collaborative work environment, we want you to bring your most creative ideas forward. You will have the design and digital advertising expertise of our outside marketing and creative firm at your disposal, so you can focus on content, strategies, and engagement.
What You Will Be Doing
The Director of Marketing & Communications is responsible for the planning, development, and implementation of AEDP’s marketing strategies, communications, and public relations activities, both external and internal. Reporting directly to the President & CEO, the position also supports the real estate, business development, small business/entrepreneurship, and administration functions in the organization. The position oversees development and implementation of support materials and services for AEDP and its departments and coordinates at the strategic and tactical levels with the other functions of the Organization.
Other duties include managing AEDP’s contracted communications and web development agencies, digital content creation and implementation, website management and maintenance, and overseeing organization and partner events- both planning and execution. Additionally, this role provides guidance to the Alexandria Small Business Development Center on marketing, communications, and outreach efforts.
Here are some key duties and responsibilities:
- Develops and implements AEDP’s marketing and communications strategies in collaboration with the President & CEO, AEDP staff and contracted marketing and creative firm(s)
- Serves as the media relations advisor to senior AEDP leaders by helping with interview preparation and execution and identifying and facilitating speaking engagements
- Manages AEDP’s public relations and placement of media stories
- Coordinates with regional peers to produce content for and promote the Northern Virginia brand through the NOVA Economic Development Alliance (NOVA EDA)
- Builds and manages relationships with development, business and organization partners where messaging by those entities impacts/influences the Alexandria brand
- Writes engaging copy for internal and external digital platforms aligned with audience characteristics, strategic goals, and defined messaging that ignites action
- Manages AEDP social media accounts on a regular basis by posting and engaging target audiences online
- Advises staff on messaging and visual content creation for other platforms such as blogs, e-newsletters, and business development RFP responses
- Manages the planning, building, and upkeep of webpages, microsites, and other web-based projects, including curating fresh and engaging content
- Directs the design team on development of creative marketing collateral and polished infographics / imagery to illustrate and reinforce key messages
- Responsible for design, content review and copywriting for major organization publications to include Market Reports and Annual Report
- Ensures schedules are met and the various aspects of proposals, presentations, and other marketing activities are accurate and concisely delivered in a timely manner
- Serves as AEDP’s brand manager ensuring coordination and appropriate use of style guidelines
- Analyzes data and reports on digital campaign performance
- Manages AEDP’s library of digital assets (e.g., photos, videos, graphics)
- Assists with the planning and execution of special events sponsored by AEDP and in partnership with outside organizations and entities
- Takes and produces photos/images for inclusion in AEDP marketing materials, reports, and presentations
What You Will Bring
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to synthesize information to create effective messaging
- Ability to plan, execute, and evaluate press campaigns
- Ability to plan, execute, and evaluate paid digital advertising campaigns (e.g., Google Ad words, Facebook)
- Ability to write clear, effective press releases
- Knowledge of creating and distributing email marketing using Constant Contact or a similar platform
- Ability to manage contracted agencies
- Ability to manage working relationships with/between multiple organizations
- Ability to manage multiple social media accounts
- Knowledge of HTML functionality and website design/development using WordPress
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative suite and Microsoft Office
- Superior organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects within timelines
- Ability to work cross-functionally
- Ability to provide feedback and coaching on presentations
Experience: Five (5) years of experience working on content development, marketing strategy and execution, public relations, and web development with a background in economic development, real estate, construction, business improvement districts, or similar field preferred.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, or a related field.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Who We Are
The Alexandria Economic Development Partnership is a public-private partnership that serves to promote the City of Alexandria as a premier location for businesses and entrepreneurs. We capitalize on Alexandria’s many assets including prime development locations, proximity to Washington DC, small businesses, and history to further economic development. Our success results in increased city tax revenues, employment opportunities, and the overall enhancement of quality of life in Alexandria. For more information about AEDP, please visit www.alexandriaecon.org.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and an engaging cover letter highlighting your unique skillsets and creativity to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted through August 20, 2021.
AEDP offers a comprehensive benefits package and salary will be commensurate with experience.
AEDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected class, in accordance with applicable law.