In the News
Highlighting news featuring businesses in Alexandria and events around the City each week- whether you are starting a business in Alexandria, or are already part of our community, stay on top of local economic development interest items here!
EACH MONTH, CHECK OUT “GROWING IN ALEXANDRIA,” AN AEDP BLOG SERIES THAT FOCUSES ON BUSINESSES AROUND THE CITY.
Our last blog post of 2019- closing out an entire decade! Hard to believe, but for this last post we sat down with Raheel Sheikh, Managing Director of Mahandru Associates. Located in Alexandria’s West End, Mahandru Associates is a multinational conglomerate, with global reach and business roots stretching back half a decade, engaged relentlessly in providing a constant advisory and management service. Check it out today on the blog!
REAL ESTATE & DEVELOPMENT
- CIM Group Commences Redevelopment of Former Alexandria Virginia Hotel Into 122 Residential Condominiums – Business Wire
- Northam proposes more than $600M for Amazon-tied Virginia Tech, GMU campuses – Washington Business Journal
- Team Takes Historic Finds in Stride at Waterfront Site – Engineering News-Record Mid- Atlantic
- Wegmans-anchored Alexandria project hits key milestone – Washington Business Journal
- CIM Group Expands Multifamily Presence in Northern VA – Globe St.
- Metro and Virginia kick off major construction on Potomac Yard Metro station – Washington Post
- As construction kicks off on Potomac Yard Metro, a second entrance remains in limbo – Washington Business Journal
- Metro expands in Alexandria, groundbreaking of new stop to help ease congestion, cater to growing population – WUSA9
- Alexandria and Metro breaking ground for Potomac Yard Metro – WTOP
- New Potomac Yard Metro Station Breaks Ground – Alexandria Living Magazine
- New Potomac Yard Metro Station Construction Begins – NBC Washington
- New Potomac Yard Metrorail Station groundbreaking – FOX 5 DC
- Southern Entrance Debate Resurfaces at Potomac Yard Metro Groundbreaking – ALX Now
- DC home prices hit record; Arlington, Alexandria hit pause – WTOP
ECONOMY & COMMUNITY
- City of Alexandria Announces 2020 Public Art Installation Arriving at Waterfront Park this Spring – City of Alexandria
- Council approves phase two scooter pilot – Alexandria Times [Page 1]
- Virginia, CSX strike $3.7B deal to massively expand commuter rail. It starts with a new Long Bridge. – Washington Business Journal
- Here’s what other regions can learn from the DMV region’s tech talent pipeline – Technical.ly DC
- Report says Virginia economy gained steam in 2019, but labor shortages are a hindrance – Richmond Times-Dispatch
- At a Northern Virginia school, parents of different backgrounds speak the same language – Washington Post
- Alexandria, Virginia Gives Revelers A Colonial Spin On The Holidays – Forbes
BUSINESS & RETAIL
- Alexandria Restaurant Debuts ‘Controversial’ Burger – NBC Washington
- For Five Coffee Roasters Opens – Alexandria Living Magazine
- The 10 best casual dining restaurants for 2019 – Washington Post [Feat. Silpancho’s House, Smoking Kow BBQ, and Yunnan by Potomac Noodle House]
- Business Marks Anniversary With Fundraiser For ACT for Alexandria – Old Town Patch [Feat. Sugar Shack Donuts]