Events & Activities
Visit Alexandria will host a “What’s New in 2019” Tourism Marketing Forum. They will discuss new experiences in Alexandria, major 2019 openings, travel research, consumer trends, metro summer shutdown planning, and more (Mon. 1/28 at 8:00 – 10:00 AM, Sheraton Suites Old Town, 801 N. Saint Asaph St., Registration Required).
The Alexandria SBDC will hold their monthly workshop. This month, the topic is “Marketing Trends of 2019,” presented by Maurisa Potts of Spotted MP (Tues. 1/29 at 9:00 – 11:00 AM, AEDP/SBDC Boardroom, 625 N. Washington St. Suite 400, Registration Requested).
ACT for Alexandria (ACT), Alexandria, Virginia’s community foundation, is hosting IMPACT 2019: Racial Equity Forum, the premier annual gathering of civic leaders in Alexandria. The keynote speaker will be Ben Hecht, President & CEO of Living Cities, a nationally recognized leader in philanthropy. Breakout sessions, short talks and an interactive luncheon to follow (Weds., 1/30 at 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM, Beth El Hebrew Congregation, 3830 Seminary Road, Registration Required).
The Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS) will host the Superintendent’s Report to the Community. ACPS families, community members and staff have shared hundreds of observations & pieces of advice with Dr. Gregory Hutchings, ACPS Superintendent, during his first 100 days on the job. Now, it’s time to share what he has learned from you! Please join ACPS at the table to discuss the steps to get ACPS to the next level. Childcare & interpretation available (Weds. 1/30 at 6:00 – 7:30 PM, TC Williams High School Cafeteria, 3330 King Street,Registration Requested).
The Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce will host its 27th Annual Economic Conference. The Conference- Looking Back, A Decade of Transformation, Looking Forward, A Future of Opportunity – will provide a forum for both public and private sector leaders to gain insight on key economic drivers, workplace trends, and the impacts and opportunities that will shape the economy in the coming year (Thurs. 1/31 at 7:30 – 11:30 AM, Hilton McLean Tysons Corner, 7920 Jones Branch Drive, McLean, Registration required).
There will be a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony to celebrate the opening of Patrick Henry K-8 Elementary School. It is free to the public and everyone is welcome to attend (Thurs. 1/31 at 9:00 – 11:00 AM, Patrick Henry Elementary School, 4643 Taney Ave.).
The Washington Business Journal will host their annual 2019 Book of Lists Celebration. Help celebrate the release of their annual Book of Lists and network amongst Washington’s most connected business leaders (Thurs. 1/31 at 6:30 – 9:30 PM, Arena Stage at the Mead Center for American Theater, 1101 6th St. SW, Washington D.C., Registration required).
In the News
Real Estate & Development
- First new construction in National Landing – a headquarters not named HQ2 – breaks ground – Washington Business Journal
- Virginia House panel backs Amazon incentive bill – Washington Business Journal
- Virginia Tech students create award-winning house of the future- Northern Virginia Magazine
Economy & Community
- Planning Continues For Summer Metro Shutdown In Alexandria – Del Ray Patch
- Alexandria braces for summer Metro shutdown – Alexandria Times
- Alexandria worries about months long Metro shutdown- WTOP
- The Art League offers free class to furloughed government workers – WUSA9
- The federal government is open but the pain continues for craft breweries – Washington Post
- Va. close to lifting ages-old happy hour advertising restrictions. Chef Geoff may be the reason why. – Washington Business Journal
- School Board Approves Connected High School Network Approach that Includes Minnie Howard – ACPS
- Alexandria Named Safest City In U.S. – Patch
Business & Retail
- Outdoor Food and Crafts Market May Come to Torpedo Factory – Alexandria Living Magazine
- Del Ray’s New Beer Garden Has 52 Taps, Moonshine, and Tons of Grilled Cheeses – Washingtonian
- New Craft Brewery to Open Headquarters in Alexandria – Alexandria Living Magazine
- Tom Sietsema’s 9 favorite places to eat right now – Washington Post [Feat. Evening Star Cafe]
- User Testing Acquires Market Research Company UserMuse – User Testing
- Behind the Bar with The Peoples Drug’s Jon Schott – On Tap Online